Monday, October 5, 2009

Puppy hat!

I was commissioned (for lack of a better word) to do a puppy hat for a child's halloween costume.
Given the measurement for the head and the instruction that long was OK, I worked out this:

I'm not pleased with the length of the hat, but I was working bottom-up and I thought I'd gotten far enough. However, I'm going to add on some length.

So, for pattern: Make a basic hat, bottom up, single crochet, with invisible decreases:
Chained 42, single crochet in slip-stitch-joined rounds. However, the gauge isn't important since hats should be made to fit.
That being said, I used a bulky weight yarn (5) with a J/6mm hook and 2 inches (wide) = approx 5 stitches; 1 inch (tall) = approx 3 stitches.

The ears were the tricky part. All in US units:
Chain 6
  1. Sl st into first chain. Make 6 tr into middle stitch. Sl st into last chain.
  2. Sc around whole fan and across base chain (make 7 sc across chain). Ch 1 and turn.
  3. 7 sc. NO chain, turn.
  4. Make 6 sc across. Ch 1, turn.
  5. 6 sc across. NO chain, turn.
  6. Make 5 sc across. Ch 1, turn.
  7. Repeat line 6.
  8. Repeat line 6.
  9. Make 5 sc across. NO chain, turn.
  10. Make 4 sc across. Ch 1, turn.
  11. Repeat line 10.
  12. Repeat line 10.
  13. Make 4 sc across. Finish off.
Obviously, I still need to attach these, but I'm going to attach them based on the distance from the top of the head rather than the length (which, as I pointed out, I'm going to extend). Hopefully they'll fall properly down past the edge of the hat. :)

Lengthened and sewn together, you get: (pictures cut off here, but if you click on them you can see the full image)


2 comments:

  1. I made a hat for my niece last night, and she really wants long puppy ears attached. I'm going to give these a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps... I found the link on ravelry, Thanks for sharing, I have looked everywhere!

    ReplyDelete